Can I Prevent Bed Bugs When Purchasing Used Furniture?
If you love thrift shopping, it’s crucial to be aware of the threat of bed bugs. One of the main causes of a bed bug infestation is bringing infested furniture into your property. This is more common than you may think. Thankfully, you can prevent an infestation by thoroughly checking the furniture before bringing it indoors.
Three things you can do to prevent bed bugs in secondhand furniture are:
- Avoid buying upholstered used furniture.
- Inspect all items you buy.
- Never bring in free furniture from the curb!
How to Check Used Furniture for Bed Bugs
No matter whether you’re buying a used upholstered chair or a secondhand dresser, it’s important to do several things to inspect the piece before purchasing. Here’s what to do:
- Look for small black spots or even blood dots. This is a top indicator of bed bug activity, whether they’re active or not.
- Check the undersides and cracks of tables, shelves, bed frames, and other furnishings.
- Look in furniture joints, seams, creases, crevices, cracks, voids, and more. They’ve even been known to hide in screw holes and more.
- If you see anything suspicious, don’t take the risk and avoid bringing the furniture into your home!
Do You Have a Bed Bug Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
Does All Used Furniture Have Bugs?
No, not all used furniture has a bed bug infestation. People all around the country buy second-hand furniture that is completely safe and bed bug-free. Unfortunately, many people will donate furniture from a past bed bug infestation. If you want to buy second-hand furniture, it’s simply best practice to thoroughly inspect all items before bringing anything inside your home or business.
How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs in Used Furniture
If, upon inspecting a piece of secondhand furniture, you find signs of bed bugs, it’s crucial to let the store owner or seller know. While some may offer refunds, it’s up to the seller. If you’re wishing to salvage the piece of furniture even with bed bugs, it’s best to consult your local bed bug exterminator on the best way to get rid of the bugs. Always leave the infested furniture outdoors to avoid bugs getting into your property.
Can I Prevent Bed Bugs When Purchasing Used Furniture? in Louisiana
Serving the Baton Rouge and Acadiana LA area since 1957