How to Treat Bed Bug Bites
Fortunately, bed bug bites can be treated from home. To heal properly, it’s important to refrain from scratching bite areas. There are several over-the-counter treatments you can use to heal a bite.
Here a few important facts to consider when dealing with bed bug bites:
- Bites will heal in one to two week’s time.
- You can use OTC pain relievers to relieve swelling, pain, and itching.
- Apply hydrocortisone to relieve itching and burning.
Treating Bed Bug Bites
For bed bug bites to heal, it’s important to treat them properly. When a bite appears, wash the area with mild soap and water and rinse thoroughly. Any soap residue left behind can cause more irritation. Washing the bites also helps prevent secondary skin infections. Additionally, you can use a number of treatments and medications to treat bed bug bites:
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions when applying anti-itch creams that contains hydrocortisone.
- Calamine lotion applied on bites can relieve itching. This can also help protect the skin as it heals from any rashes.
- Use OTC pain relievers to help with pain related to the bite. Similarly, oral antihistamines can help control any allergic reaction.
Do You Have a Bed Bug Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
How Long Before My Bed Bug Bites Will Heal?
Most bed bug bites will heal within a week or two. Although bites can be very itchy, it’s important to never scratch the bite areas. Scratching can lengthen the healing process and make the symptoms even worse! For those people sensitive to insect bites, healing may take up to three weeks or more.
Can I Treat Bed Bug Bites at Home?
Luckily, bed bug bites can almost always be treated from the comfort of your home. If symptoms persist or take a turn for the worse, always consult a medical professional. Furthermore, enlisting the help of a bed bug exterminator to eliminate an infestation will prevent you from ever having to deal with treating bites again!
How to Treat Bed Bug Bites in Louisiana
Serving the Baton Rouge and Acadiana LA area since 1957