Bed bugs are a feared pest, and it’s easy to understand why. Not only do bed bugs bite, they can spread easily and be a pain to get rid of without a professional. As cases rise, more and more information is spread about bed bugs–and not all of it is true! In order to better prepare yourself for a bed bug problem, it’s crucial to learn how to separate fact from fiction. With Bed Bug Awareness Week upon us, the team at Dugas Pest Control wants to dispel common bed bug myths. Keep reading to learn more.
Bed Bug Myths That Simply Aren’t True
The following list explores common myths about bed bugs that we want to set straight:
- Bed bugs are nocturnal.
- Bed bugs are active when their hosts are at rest. This obviously means they are active at night, but they can also adjust their schedule to fit yours.
- Bed bugs are only found in your bedroom.
- Bed bugs gather near areas where people rest. This includes sofas, chairs, cracks in the wall, and even power outlets.
- Bed bugs are too small to see with the naked eye.
- Adult bed bugs are about the size of an apple seed and can definitely be seen. Nymph bed bugs are much smaller and translucent, making them more difficult to spot.
- Bed bugs jump and fly.
- Unlike fleas and ticks, bed bugs cannot jump or fly. They have underdeveloped wings, and move from one area to another by crawling.
- Bed bugs are attracted to messy or dirty homes.
- This is one of the most common myths about bed bugs. Whether your home is clean or dirty, a bed bug infestation can happen in any property.
- Bed bugs latch onto or bon people.
- Although bed bugs are known to hitch a ride on your purse or suitcase, they do not attach to people as fleas or ticks do.
- Bed bugs transmit dangerous diseases.
- Bed bugs definitely bite, but they do not transmit diseases as mosquitoes do.
- Bed bugs can live a year without feeding.
- While they definitely can survive months without a meal, it is very unlikely for bed bugs to survive an entire year.
What to Do About Bed Bugs in Baton Rouge
If you have a bed bug problem, it’s important to act quickly. DIY bed bug extermination is out of the question–trying to get rid of them yourself can actually make things worse. The team at Dugas is committed to keeping our customers safe from bed bugs all year round. To learn how we can keep you bed bug-free, contact us today!
8 Bed Bug Myths Debunked in Louisiana
Serving the Baton Rouge and Acadiana LA area since 1957