Everyone loves the summertime in Baton Rouge. Warming temperatures means more time spent outdoors. Unfortunately, mosquitoes also love warmer temperatures and infamously put a damper on outdoor activities this time of year. To prevent a mosquito problem ruining your next barbecue or picnic, it’s crucial to learn how to prepare for mosquito season. The mosquito exterminators at Dugas Pest Control are here to help with mosquito prevention tips and tricks. Keep reading to learn how to keep mosquitoes out of your yard this summer!
5 Ways to Prepare for Mosquito Season
There are several ways you can make your home or property less appealing to mosquitoes. Implement the following tips now to hopefully reduce the amount of mosquitoes in your yard this summer:
- Eliminate all standing water. Get rid of standing water in buckets, flower pots, bird baths, tarps, and more. Mosquitoes use standing water to breed!
- Install screens on windows and doors. Installing screens on your doors and windows can keep mosquitoes from getting indoors every time you try to get some fresh air.
- Place fish in ponds and agitate the water. Certain types of fish will feed on mosquito larvae. In addition, adding an agitator will stop mosquitoes from laying eggs in the water.
- Keep a tidy yard. Regularly maintain your garden and lawn to keep the grass short. Also keep plants and bushes trimmed to prevent mosquito resting spots.
- Use fans in your outdoor area. Mosquitoes hate wind and are not strong fliers. Use fans to help force them away from your outdoor areas.
Avoiding Mosquitoes When Outside
You don’t want to let mosquitoes ruin your outdoor activities this summer. Whether you have a camping trip planned or a barbecue, there are several things you can do to protect yourself against mosquitoes. In general, try to avoid going outdoors at dusk and dawn. In addition, wear light-colored, long-sleeved shirts and pants. To protect yourself and your family even further, consider applying insect repellent containing DEET. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions and consult your pediatrician before use on children.
Seasonal Mosquito Protection
If you’ve done everything you can to keep mosquitoes from inhabiting areas in your yard but still have them, it’s best to contact the team at Dugas. In addition to mosquito repellents, we can help safeguard your property against mosquitoes in the summer. Contact our expert mosquito exterminators today to learn more.
Do You Have a Pest Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information and we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
Are You Prepared for Mosquito Season? in Louisiana
Serving the Baton Rouge and Acadiana LA area since 1957