DIY Pest Control has gotten to be a big industry with many stores and products on the market for roaches, wasps, bees and even termites. But do these type products work for bed bugs?
The problem with trying to get rid of bed bugs using DIY methods is that many of the DIY treatments simply don’t work. The reality is that the treatment of bed bugs is a complex issue that will even pest control professionals to debate which are the best control methods. A few factors play into this:
- Bed bugs can live on many surfaces near the bed including the bedding, nightstand, curtains and even within certain types of walls
- Even if you kill the adults, the eggs may survive treatment and hatch to re-start the infestation
- Bed bugs can go into a dormant stage, and re-appear months later
- Room to room movement is very common
- Populations can grow quickly if not kept in check
You risk growing the infestation and having to put out more money for a bigger problem. Not to mention, you spend more time suffering in the meantime.
The bottom line is this: bed bug infestations are hard to get rid of. Let’s explore some of the common DIY ways to eliminate bed bugs and why they don’t work.
Common DIY Bed Bug Treatments
The smoke bomb is believed to be a common solution, but it doesn’t work. If it did, we wouldn’t have the infestations we do. Heating a room to a high temperature also won’t work. It may kill off some bugs that are hiding in a mattress for example, but it won’t get to the bugs that are hiding in walls. When the room returns to its normal temperature, the bugs will be back. The same goes for freezing temperatures. You can freeze individual items like luggage or pillows, but you can’t do it in your home.
Finally, there are products out there that claim to kill bed bugs, but these are risky to use. Even though bed bugs are a nuisance, they don’t carry disease. So to spray potentially harmful pesticides on your mattress and your pillows is not safe for you or your family. Also, there are chemicals that people are simply not qualified to use. Calling in a professional is your best option.
DIY Measures that Can Help
There are things you can do that will help, just be sure to leave the treatments up to a professional like Dugas Pest Control. Below are smart measures to take on your own:
– Vacuum your mattress and box springs
– Vacuum baseboards, walls, light switches, outlets, picture frames, etc.
– Get your luggage treated if you travel before you bring it home
– Remove clutter, which are hiding spots for bed bugs
– When you throw out blankets, coats, etc., be sure to label it with “Infested With Bed Bugs.”
If you are tired of trying to deal with bed bugs on your own, call the professionals today at Dugas Pest Control in Baton Rouge to eliminate the problem once and for all.
Do You Have a Pest Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information and we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
Can You Kill Bed Bugs on Your Own? in Louisiana
Serving the Baton Rouge and Acadiana LA area since 1957