Raccoons are often considered violent, aggressive, and dangerous. They forage for food in our trash cans and sneak around our yards at night, creating an unsettling environment for the fearful. They have also been proven to carry rabies in some cases. But is there truly a reason to panic if raccoons are inhabiting your yard?
While it is true that raccoons have been known to exhibit aggressive behavior, they are actually much more scared of you than you are of them. So long as you do not try to get rid of raccoons on your property on your own, they will leave you alone and keep a safe distance. If you are concerned about the raccoons on your property in Baton Rouge LA, read on to learn more about them from the Dugas Pest Control experts.
Are Raccoons Dangerous in Baton Rouge LA?
When living in the wild in their natural habitats, raccoons leave humans alone whenever possible. However, sometimes they stumble into residential areas looking for food and shelter, and when they find them, they might stick around. Trying to ward off raccoons on your own can be very dangerous—they have sharp claws, bite, and can transmit various diseases. However, they will not bite unless you threaten them.
That said, raccoons can cause a hassle by way of property damage. They have been known to:
- Climb through chimneys and cause structural damage
- Chew on electrical wiring, causing fire hazards
- Damage your siding, insulation, wiring, and other parts of your home
How Can I Prevent Raccoons?
Keeping your property clean and your home sealed off will prevent raccoons from taking residence around your home. Here are some starters that you can do on your own:
- Clean up waste. Any food scraps, fallen fruit from trees, and other trash can attract raccoons.
- Seal your trash cans. Consider buying a garbage can with a latch so raccoons can’t get inside.
- Look for open entry points. If you’ve noticed raccoons lurking in your neighborhood, look around your house for small gaps in the siding or foundation where they could get inside your walls.
Professional Raccoon Removal with Dugas Pest Control
If you can’t get rid of raccoons on your property in Baton Rouge LA, have your local pest control company help you out. Our Dugas Pest Control wildlife specialists are trained to use safe and humane strategies that handle active raccoon infestations quickly. We also emphasize the importance of learning how to prevent raccoons on your own going forward. For a free quote on the best raccoon removal service in Baton Rouge, contact us today!