It’s not uncommon for homeowners to tackle jobs around the home on their own – yet there are some jobs that are better left to the professionals. One of those jobs is pest control; more specifically, the jobs that require eliminating the home of stubborn pests such as bed bugs, mice and termites. And despite the nuances of successfully controlling pests around the home, a recent study published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that out of the 111 people that were surveyed, 99 percent were taking pest control matters into their own hands.
The Main Differences between Professional Pest Control and DIY Pest Control
There are many differences between professional pest control and DIY pest control:
- First, pest control companies have the education and experience needed to properly exterminate bugs and pests. You should always work with a company that is licensed and certified to ensure this level of excellence.
- Second, pest control companies know the proper methods for bug extermination.
- Finally, professional companies have access to the most effective and innovative products. In fact, some have their own unique patents that you won’t find at the home improvement stores.
DIY Pest Control Gone Wrong
So what can happen if you try to exterminate a pest problem on your own? With more families trying to save money, it’s no surprise that they try to resolve the problem themselves. But there are a number of things that can happen, and the consequences can be disastrous.
– Extreme high temperatures can kill bed bugs. Yet people who don’t know how to properly execute this procedure have accidentally burned down their homes or have harmed themselves and others in the process.
– Fogger cans can be used on such insects as bed bugs. However, when used in high concentrations, they can lead to illness or in some cases even death, which happened to a lady living in North Carolina who used 18 cans of fogger.
– People tend to leave mouse traps out in the open. However, by the time a mouse travels to the trap, it leaves bacteria and germs in your living space. These germs can lead to illness in humans.
Bottom Line: Pest Control is Best Left to the Professionals
There are many other problems that occur in DIY pest control. People don’t know all the places to look for infestations, they don’t know how to properly use products and they end up spending more time and money to correct the problem on their own. If you’re dealing with pests around your home, call in the professionals. You’ll be saving time, money and headache, plus getting the problem taken care of the first time around.
Do You Have a Pest Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information and we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
DIY Pest Control Gone Wrong in Louisiana
Serving the Baton Rouge and Acadiana LA area since 1957