There are many little things you can do around the home to help prevent pest problems. One of the quickest, easiest, most effective ways to pest-proof your home is to use caulk around your windows and doors. Over time, cracks and crevices show up in our property, which are then used by pests to access your home! By sealing these cracks and crevices, pests will be forced to look elsewhere. With pest season just around the corner here in Baton Rouge, now is the time to learn how to prevent pests. The experts at Dugas Pest Control are here with all you need to know about how caulking can help pest-proof your property.
How to Pest-Proof Your Property With Caulk
Caulking prevents pests by closing off the access points through which they could easily enter previously. Learning how to caulk is easy and can provide you with relief from small ants and bugs in the spring and summertime. Our top tips for caulking are as follows.
- Thoroughly inspect your property. Look at your window and door frames both indoors and out, as well as your baseboards, crown molding, and more. If you have major issues with your door or window frames, you may consider using weather stripping or replacing them entirely.
- Choose the correct caulk. When you get to your store, you’ll notice several types of caulk. In general, silicone caulk is the most commonly used caulk for this purpose as it is resistant to moisture. It’s also a low-cost option. If necessary, purchase a caulking gun as well.
- Thoroughly clean the area. Before you apply any caulk, make sure to clean any areas you will be applying caulk to. This includes removing any old caulking, old paint, dirt, and anything else that could jeopardize the adhesion of the new caulk.
- Apply the caulk. When applying caulk, begin in one corner of the crack or gap and tilt the applicator at a 45-degree angle. Steadily apply the caulk in a smooth, slow line while applying steady pressure.
- Let the caulk dry. If needed, smooth any bumps or fill any gaps with a small spoon. Remove any excess caulking. For best results, let the caulk dry for at least 24 hours.
Other Ways to Prevent Pests
Caulking is something most homeowners can easily do to prevent ants, beetles, spiders, and other pests. Other pest-proofing methods include clearing your yard, cleaning your property, avoiding excess moisture, and working with a professional pest control company. To learn more about how caulking prevents pests or need assistance with pest-proofing your Baton Rouge property this year, give the pest prevention pros at Dugas a call today!
Do You Have a Pest Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information and we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
How Does Caulking Prevent Pests? in Louisiana
Serving the Baton Rouge and Acadiana LA area since 1957