It’s officially springtime in Baton Rouge! Many celebrate the return of warmer weather and blooming trees. Unfortunately, pests do as well. Now is the time to safeguard your home against the many types of pests that become more active this time of year. Whether you want to prevent ants in your kitchen or rodents in your garage, it’s smart to implement pest prevention into your spring cleaning routine. Read on for expert tips from the team at Dugas Pest Control.
How to Stay Pest-Free this Spring
If you want to avoid a pest infestation this spring, summer, or even fall, it’s important to know how to keep them out. There are several ways to lessen the risk of getting pests in your property, and you can start with these spring cleaning tips:
- In general, deep-clean your home. Clean areas under furniture, wipe down surfaces, and inspect areas of your home that need some fixing up.
- Clean your windows and doors thoroughly. If you find any cracks or crevices make sure to securely seal them.
- Deep-clean your carpets and rugs. Vacuum, shampoo, or even steam cleaning works well.
- Sanitize and clean your kitchen with a focus on your appliances. Crumbs and spilled liquids welcome all types of insects and pests.
- Remove debris from your yard, and trim any shrubs or tree branches away from your home. Clear out your gutters and downspouts.
Common Spring Pests in Louisiana
There are many pests that are active year-round, but spring sees a peak in pest activity. The most common pests homeowners throughout the state deal with this time of year are:
- Ants. With warmer weather comes hoards of ants in your home.
- Termites. It’s swarming season. Termite infestations often start in the spring.
- Rodents. Although they’re active year-round, rats and mice are a problem in the spring.
- Stinging insects. Wasps and hornets are gearing up to build nests this time of year.
- Stink bugs. After overwintering, people report a resurgence in stink bugs.
What to Do About Spring Pests
If you already have a pest problem in your home, it’s important to act quickly. Your best bet at stopping the infestation and preventing future problems is to work with a professional exterminator. At Dugas, we understand the unique pest problems faced by residents in the spring and will work with you to prevent them all year long.
Spring is Here! How to Prevent Springtime Pests in Louisiana
Serving the Baton Rouge and Acadiana LA area since 1957