Everyone is happy to be out and about enjoying the sunshine this spring here in Baton Rouge LA. Unfortunately, the combination of consistent warmth and rainfall in our climate creates a haven of resources and shelter for all kinds of regional critters. If you aren’t careful, you could allow your backyard to become a home to many kinds of pests for several different reasons. Our expert exterminators at Dugas Pest Control are here to help prevent this. Read on for advice on how to make your backyard pest-free through the summer!
10 Pest-Proofing Tips for Your Backyard
The hot and humid weather we experience for most of the year in our region creates ideal conditions for a plethora of pests. This makes it crucial to incorporate pest prevention into your maintenance routines. Here are ten tips we suggest you take to keep a pest-free backyard this year:
- Trim your plants: Keeping your bushes, trees, and shrubs neat and orderly will prevent shaded resting areas for common spring and summer pests like mosquitoes, ticks, and fleas.
- Get rid of yard waste: Piles of yard waste or scattered scraps can provide temporary shelter or even food for insects and small animals. Clear them out to discourage pests.
- Deal with standing water: Standing water serves as breeding grounds for mosquitoes and a hydration source for many other kinds of insects. Pour out or cover standing water when you find it building up in gutters, planters, buckets, tarps, or elsewhere.
- Mow the lawn regularly: Mowing your lawn once a week can prevent tall grass blades from trapping standing water and housing pests.
- Consider garden netting: If you have a garden, you could be unwittingly offering a food source for tiny bugs like aphids and large wildlife pests like raccoons. Garden netting can keep them from robbing your plants.
- Dethatch your lawn: A thin layer of thatch can help insulate your lawn to regulate temperatures and promote healthy growth, but too much of it will suffocate your grass and offer shelter to many common lawn pests.
- Keep bins sealed and distant: Several kinds of insects, rodents, and wild animals are known to break into our trash cans looking for food. Seal your bins if possible and make sure that they’re as far away from your yard and home as they can be.
- Ensure proper lawn hydration: Both overwatering and underwatering can cause problems for your lawn, so ensuring a regulated supply of water can help prevent pests. This can be best attained using a sprinkler or irrigation system.
- Store your firewood high and far: Woodpiles stacked against the side of homes or wooden decks are common contributors to termite infestations. Keeping a covered firewood rack at a distance from your home can prevent termites and other insects from infesting your backyard.
- Look for professional pest control: An experienced technician can assess your yard for vulnerabilities that you haven’t caught to help determine the best ways to go about pest prevention for your particular property.
Pest Control for Your Backyard in Baton Rouge LA
If you’re looking for a calculated approach to pest control in your backyard in Baton Rouge, reach out to your local exterminators. At Dugas Pest Control, we train our technicians to shape their services to the individual needs of each property that they service. We pride ourselves on our holistic approach to pest control, complete with site-wide inspections, safe control and exclusion practices, and preventative maintenance to ensure that our customers never deal with pests again. Contact us today for a free quote!