Ants are a common problem all year long, but they tend to spike in activity during the summer. These pests are drawn indoors in search of food and shelter and, once inside, they can spread and become a serious problem. As the number one nuisance pest not just in the Baton Rouge area but nationwide, it’s very important to learn about keeping ants away from your home. No one wants to deal with an ant infestation! Thankfully, there are a number of ways you can keep them out–for good. Keep reading for summertime ant prevention tips from the experts at Dugas Pest Control.
How to Keep Summertime Ants Away
It’s likely you’ve had ants before. If you have, you likely never want to deal with them again! There are a number of ways you can limit ants’ access into your property and make your home less attractive to them overall. Our top tips for keeping ants away from your home include:
- Cleaning your home regularly. Sweep your floors regularly to get rid of crumbs. Ants are attracted to sugary food sources and a few crumbs will keep them coming back for more.
- Storing all food items properly. Avoid leaving food out uncovered. Keep food in airtight containers or store them safely in cupboards and fridges.
- Sealing gaps, cracks, and entry holes. Ants can crawl through the tiniest of cracks. Inspect your property and use caulk to seal any gaps, holes, or potential entry ways.
- Avoiding excess moisture or water. Areas with standing water or leaks will attract ants quickly. Attend to broken pipes and clean up spills quickly.
- Trimming back trees and vegetation. Plants close to your home can grant ants easy access into your property. Make sure tree branches, shrubs, and bushes are trimmed away from the perimeter!
What Ants are Common During the Summer?
These types of ants can be around all year long, but they tend to be more active as they infest homes in the summertime. Because there are more than 700 species of ants throughout the nation, it’s important to know what type of ant you’re up against! A few of the most common types of ants you’ll likely encounter in our area are odorous house ants, carpenter ants, fire ants, and pavement ants. All of these pose different threats and exhibit different behaviors, but all likely need the assistance of a professional exterminator to control!
Long-Term Ant Prevention in Baton Rouge
Keeping ants away from your home can seem like an uphill battle at times. Even when you’ve done all you can to keep them away, ants may still squeeze their way inside your property. In that case, it’s always best to contact a professional ant exterminator. The team at Dugas has what it takes to control any current infestation and prevent future ones from forming!