Serving Baton Rouge | Acadiana | Lafayette
Especially in the summer months, mosquitoes can quickly ruin any outdoors event. When the weather warms up, these dangerous insects come out in full force, and are typically drawn to areas that provide standing water. Mosquitoes pose a huge threat to health around the world, which is why it’s so important to know how you can prevent them from infesting your yard each year. The most effective way to keep mosquitoes away from your yard is to work with a professional pest control company such as Dugas.
How to prevent mosquitoes
At Dugas Pest Control, our mosquito control is centered around permanent solutions and effective prevention. This requires eliminating or limiting the conditions under which mosquitoes to thrive. A few of our expert tips for keeping mosquitoes away include:
- Removing standing water: To be able to reproduce, mosquitoes need a source of standing water. Puddles, planters, buckets, ponds, and even tarps that provide standing water should be covered or removed.
- Plant a garden: Rosemary, citronella, and marigolds are just three of the many types of plants known to naturally repel mosquitoes.
- Get the air moving: Mosquitoes do not like a windy atmosphere. If you have a covered patio, consider installing a ceiling fan or place an outdoor standing fan to avoid still air.
Need a Mosquito Exterminator estimate?
We'll call you! Leave your information below.
Does DIY mosquito prevention work?
Mosquitoes are much more than a nuisance—they are infamous for transmitting a number of dangerous diseases. The best way to keep you and your family safe from mosquitoes is to prevent them in the first place. There are many DIY solutions and store-bought products that claim to be effective, but most of the time are not a long-term solution for preventing mosquitoes. Some of these faulty mosquito products include:
- Spray repellent: While it might keep mosquitoes at bay for a short time, it’s not guaranteed and needs to be re-applied.
- Citronella products or candles: Unfortunately, they only work in a limited area and of course only work for a short period of time.
- Chemical sprays: Spraying chemicals around your property may work for a little bit, but it’s not effective long-term! Chemical-laced products are not good for the environment and can be dangerous for humans, too.
Keeping mosquitoes away
If you’ve followed the above tips to repel mosquitoes and you are still experiencing mosquito problems in your yard, it’s time to call a professional. The mosquito exterminators at Dugas Pest Control use safe, effective products to protect your property from the onslaught of mosquitoes each year.Back to Mosquito Exterminator
Preventing Mosquitoes in Your Yard in Louisiana
Baton Rouge LA | Acadiana LA