What Do Mosquitoes Look Like?
There are upwards of 3,000 species of mosquitoes worldwide, but they all have similar characteristics. Mosquitoes all share these traits:
- As adults, mosquitoes are about ¼ – ½ of an inch long and weigh less than 2.5 mg.
- Mosquitoes vary in color by species. Common mosquitoes in the U.S. are often gray or brown in color with iridescent scales and white stripes.
- They all have two long wings, hunched, slender backs, and long legs.
- Mosquitoes use their long proboscis to suck fluids like nectar and blood.
How Can You Be Sure if It’s A Mosquito?
Mosquitoes are easily mistaken for other insects. However, they do have two special body parts that distinguish them from similar-looking pests: scale-covered wings and a needle-like proboscis. Sometimes, mosquitoes can be smaller than you think, which is why people get these blood-suckers mixed up with much larger bugs. In general, taking note of their behavior will help you identify mosquitoes.
Do You Have a Mosquito Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
What Other Bugs Look Like Mosquitoes?
Crane flies, midges, gnats, and mayflies are all confused with mosquitoes sometimes. Here’s how they are different:
- Crane flies: Sometimes called mosquito hawks, these insects look like giant mosquitoes and can reach over double their size. They are harmless and will not draw blood.
- Mayflies: The mayfly has large wings that point upward and does not have a proboscis. They also don’t sting or bite.
- Midges/gnats: Although they are related to mosquitoes, midges don’t often bite and do not cause diseases in humans. They move in huge swarms and also lack a proboscis.
What Types of Mosquitoes Can Be Found in Baton Rouge?
There are about 150 species of mosquitoes known to be living in the United States. Culex, yellow fever, and Asian tiger mosquitoes are the most commonly reported here in Baton Rouge, and they can look a lot alike. To help identify the kind of mosquitoes in your yard, it’s best to ask for the help of a professional mosquito exterminator.
What Do Mosquitoes Look Like? in Louisiana
Serving the Baton Rouge and Acadiana LA area since 1957