Besides being creepy, spiders can be a very dangerous pest to have around your yard or home.
Some species are even deadly, such as the Black Widow, and the Brown Recluse– both of which reside in Southern Louisiana.
And just because you don’t see them, it doesn’t mean they aren’t there.
Some spiders do not build webs, and many are excellent at finding places to put their webs where you’d never notice them.
Getting Rid of Spiders in Southern Louisiana
While there are thousands of spider species that live in the region, only a few ever venture inside homes and buildings. Unfortunately, the few that do can also be the most dangerous. So having a professional service perform spider control treatments is very important for keeping your family and pets safe.
The first step is a consultation, where we will inspect your property for signs of a spider infestation. Those signs may include:
- Spider Webs: Not all spider webs look like a classic web. Some are funnel shaped, looking almost like a wasps’ nest made of spider silk.
- Burrows or Crevices in Your Home: Many spider species won’t make webs at all. They’ll burrow into the ground around your home, or use crevices in the foundation or siding of your home as a temporary nest.
- Dampness: Spiders are often drawn to damp locations like basements and sheds, because damp areas are breeding grounds for the insects they eat.
- The Presence of Ants, Flies, and Lice: These are a spider’s main food source, so you can bet that where you have these insects, you’ll have spiders.
In addition to the poison spiders mentioned above, some of the other common spider species we see in Southern Louisiana homes include:
- House Spider
- Cellar Spider
- Wolf Spider
- Sac Spider
Spider Treatments with Dugas Pest Control
After we’ve identified what type of spider you may have in or on your property, we’ll recommend a treatment plan to remove the spiders. We may also recommend certain changes in your property, such as fixing cracks or gaps to prevent spiders from getting inside.
We also provide an ongoing Silver Star prevention plan to ensure that spiders stay away from your home for good. With this service, we will return every three months to spray your home and yard, creating a safe zone where you and your family can play and live without fear.
Other Tips for Keeping Spiders Away from Your Home
In addition to getting rid of existing spiders, there are a few other things that you can do to help prevent spider infestations. Those include:
- Getting boxes and other clutter off the floor of your basement or garage. These make good hiding places for spiders.
- Sealing up storage boxes with tape, so that spiders can’t get inside.
- Keeping plants from growing directly beside your home or other buildings. Spiders can climb these plants and use them to get inside through open windows or cracks in windowsills or siding.
- Seal up any cracks around doors and windows especially, and pay attention to cracks in your foundation as well.
Schedule a Free Consultation Today
At Dugas Pest Control, we can help you get started by attacking the spider problem you have now, and then assisting you with implementing your own spider prevention plan. We offer a completely free consultation with estimate, so you’ll get a good idea of where the spiders may be, what types of spiders are around, and how we can help. Contact us today to get started with spider control in the greater Baton Rouge, metro New Orleans, St. Tammany Paris, and Lafayette areas.