Although rodents are active year-round, they become especially troublesome in the colder months in Louisiana as they invade homes. Once inside your home, rats and mice can cause significant damage with their gnawing and nesting habits. Perhaps the biggest danger of rat and mice infestations is the fact that they spread filth and are carriers of the disease. Keep reading to learn the top concerns associated with rodent infestations throughout Louisiana.
4 rat-borne illnesses
Rodents have been proven to spread bacteria, contaminate food, and even trigger allergic reactions in humans, typically through their droppings. In serious cases, they have been reported to transmit a number of dangerous illnesses, including:
- Hantavirus is a potentially life-threatening disease transmitted to humans by rodents, especially the white-footed deer mouse.
- People are infected through exposure from infected rodent urine, droppings, or saliva.
- Symptoms include headaches, dizziness, chills, and abdominal problems, all of which should be addressed by a medical professional.
- Salmonellosis is a type of food poisoning spread by rodent feces, especially through the consumption of contaminated food.
- Symptoms include diarrhea, fever, and abdominal pain.
- Bubonic Plague
- Also known as the “Black Death”, the Plague is a highly contagious and often deadly disease notorious for killing one-third of the European population during the Middle Ages.
- This is usually spread by the bite of an infected rodent flea and can cause fever, headache, and painfully swollen lymph nodes.
- Rat-Bite Fever
- Rat-bite fever (RBF) is a potentially fatal infectious disease spread by infected rodents or the consumption of food contaminated by rodents.
- The CDC says that symptoms usually occur 3-10 days after exposure to an infected source and include fever, vomiting, headaches, rash, and muscle pain.
Say Goodbye to Pests. Get Started Today!
Stay safe from rodents in Louisiana
Even though it’s rare to get one of these diseases from a rodent, it’s best to not take any chances. The rodent exterminators at Dugas Pest Control will thoroughly inspect your property, exterminate rodent activity, and help you learn how to keep them away for good.Back to Rodent Exterminators- Rats & Mice Exterminators
Dangers of Rodents in Louisiana in Louisiana
Serving the Baton Rouge and Acadiana LA area since 1957