What Does a Termite Look Like?
Termites can look different in their unique stages of life, but they have a number of characteristics that make them unique. However, they share several similar attributes.
Some of the main characteristics of termites include:
- Termites can be ¼ – ½ inch in length
- Termites range in color from off-white to dark brown
- All termites have bodies divided into three segments: head, thorax, and abdomen
- Most termites have soft, straight bodies and straight antennae
- Some termites, called swarmers, possess wings that are the same length
What Do Termite Species Look Like?
The termite species and caste dictates the appearance of a termite. Dampwood termites are much larger than other kinds of termites and can have a reddish tint on their bodies. Drywood termites, on the other hand, can be a yellow-brown color, and wings that range from transparent to somewhat gray. Subterranean termites are typically an off-white to dark brown/black color. Knowing the differences between these termite species is the key to identifying an infestation in your home.
Do You Have a Termite Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
Characteristics of Termite Castes
A termite caste is a group of termites that performs a specific role within the colony. Termite colonies typically have four castes, and the termites within the groups can all look a little different. Here are their unique characteristics:
- Workers. These make up the majority of a colony and have an off-white to creamy colored appearance.
- Alates/Swarmers. While these vary in color between species, they all have wings that allow them to fly and are eventually shed.
- Soldiers. Often confused for ants, soldier termites have large, dark heads with powerful mandibles.
- Queens. The queen termite has a large, translucent egg-producing chamber on its body and can grow to the size of a human finger.
How to Identify Termites By Their Appearance
Unless you spot swarmer termites, it is rare to see termites in your home. This is because they are often within the very structure of your home! A professional pest control expert such as Dugas can help identify what type of termite you are dealing with by looking not just at the pests themselves, but at the damage they’ve caused.
What Does a Termite Look Like? in Louisiana
Serving the Baton Rouge and Acadiana LA area since 1957