The summer months are the perfect time to enjoy the great outdoors. People picnic in the park, go to the beach, jump in the swimming pool or just sit in a chair to work on their tan. There are so many different outdoor activities to take part in during the warm months, like biking, roller blading, hiking, camping, swimming, canoeing, tubing, and so much more.
There is something that can seriously stand in your way when enjoying the warm sunshine: mosquitoes. Those little buzzing insects aren’t just an annoyance. They can be a big problem. So, before you go outside, let’s spend a little time talking about the bugs and the problems they can cause you.
Obviously, the biggest issue from mosquitoes would be illness. There are mosquito borne conditions that can affect humans and animals, and some of them have detrimental results. As far as animals go, the two main concerns would be, according to the National Center for Infectious Diseases:
- Eastern equine encephalitis, which can affect horses
- Canine heartworm disease, which can be fatal for dogs
However, it isn’t just animals who are affected by mosquito borne diseases. Human conditions include:
- West Nile Virus – This condition can be transmitted to humans as well as birds and horses. This has been a common disease in the past few years.
- Eastern and Western Equine Encephalitis – This condition effects horses as well as humans and birds.
- Malaria – Unfortunately, people don’t think of malaria as a threat anymore, but it has not been eradicated. It is still a threat in the United States.
- Chikungunya – Up until recently, this virus was not found in the United States, but there have been outbreaks in southern states. It is transmitted directly from mosquito to human when a bite occurs.
In addition to the illnesses, mosquitoes cause other aggravations. Their bites can be very itchy and irritating. Many people are allergic or have an intolerance to the venom released in the bites and that results in more severe pain, itching, redness, and swelling.
Where Mosquitoes Breed
Mosquitoes are a bigger problem in certain areas of the world, especially places that have high humidity and warmer, more tropical conditions. States like Louisiana are especially prone to the bugs because there are plenty of places for mosquitoes to breed. These bugs like:
- Warm environments
- Wet environments
- Bodies of standing water that have become stagnant
Any water that has been standing around, like swamps, empty pots, pet food bowls, ponds, ditches, and other areas will be the perfect breeding ground for the pests.
Eliminating the Mosquitoes in Your Yard
It can be a difficult battle to fight off mosquitoes, especially since you live in an area where so many of the bugs regularly breed and buzz around. Some of the things you can do include:
- Make sure you do not have any free-standing, stagnant water on your property.
- Use things like citronella candles when you will be outside to keep the bugs away.
- Plant the right things in your garden, like mosquito plants that will actually help to drive the bugs away.
Of course, none of these things will eliminate the mosquitoes completely. If you have a very serious problem with the bugs and you are especially concerned with the issue, then you have another option. You can contact the professionals. There are devices and systems that will work very quickly and easily to ensure you can enjoy your property outdoors without having to constantly swat at mosquitoes.
Can you imagine spending time outdoors with your kids or pets without having to worry about mosquitoes? With the right steps, this can become a reality. Contact Dugas Pest Control today to learn more about our Mosquito Suppression Programs, including the CoastalMister System.
National Center for Infectious Diseases, “Mosquito Borne Diseases”,http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/list_mosquitoborne.htm