Ants: we’ve all dealt with them at some point. As one of the most common household pest problems, and also the most frustrating, it’s important to learn what you can do to prevent ants. Unfortunately, with the weather warming up here in the Baton Rouge LA area, ants are about to be in full force. Especially after a wet winter, worker ants will be leaving their nests in search of food and water. The last thing you want is for them to take up residence in your home, which is why it’s important to know about ant prevention. In this blog post, the experts at Dugas Pest Control are sharing their top ant-proofing tips for homeowners.
6 Ant-Proofing Tips and Tricks
If you have had an ant infestation, you know that the problem can get worse before it gets better. To avoid having to deal with ants whatsoever, there are a few ways you can protect your home from them. Our top ant-proofing tips include:
- Inspect the foundation of your home and seal any cracks or crevices using a silicone-based caulk.
- Keep any pet food bowls clean and always clean up after messes and spills. Pick pet bowls up off the floor after meal times.
- Make sure downspouts and gutters are all functioning properly so that water is flowing away from the foundation.
- Regularly check under sinks for excess moisture problems and repair leaky pipes promptly.
- Wipe down any countertops and sweep floors regularly to clean up spills and remove crumbs.
- Keep all food (pet food included) sealed in airtight containers in a warm, dry place.
You Have Ants-What Now?
When people see their first trail of ants, many will rush to their store to pick up ant bait and traps. This is never a long-term solution to your ant problem. Ant colonies can grow in size exponentially, and more ants are often in your property than you want to believe. Ant control requires determining where each ant colony is, and using techniques that will prevent ants from coming back. This is best accomplished by an ant exterminator.
What to do When You Have an Ant Infestation
Ants can seem like a never-ending problem, but they don’t have to be! If you’ve done all you can to prevent ants in your property and are still dealing with a growing number of trails in your property, it’s time to call the team at Dugas. We will work with you to ensure you stay ant-free all year long.
6 Ant-Proofing Tips in Louisiana
Serving the Baton Rouge and Acadiana LA area since 1957