A cockroach infestation is bad any time of year. However, they can be at their worst in the summertime—especially here in Louisiana. Because we experience warm, humid weather in the summer months, cockroaches are more likely to infest homes. Even worse, they often breed at a more rapid rate this time of year, making their infestations quickly grow in numbers.
Because a cockroach infestation can be so frustrating, not to mention dangerous, it’s important to learn how to keep them out. The team at Dugas is here with expert info on summertime cockroach problems.
6 Ways to Keep Roaches Out
Cockroaches are hardy insects—once you have them, they can be increasingly difficult to get rid of. For that reason alone, it’s important to know how to keep them away in the first place. Our best tips to prevent cockroaches are as follows.
- Inspect the perimeter of your home and seal cracks. Seal windows and doors or install screens.
- Keep a clean home or business. Wipe or clean up any spills or messes as soon as possible. Also avoid letting clutter build up.
- After feeding your pets, pick up pet bowls and avoid leaving food out overnight or for days at a time.
- Keep all food securely sealed in airtight containers, and refrigerate unsealed food.
- Ensure your garbage is sealed with a tight-fitting lid, and routinely take it out when needed.
- Because cockroaches love moisture, promptly fix any leaky pipes or clogged rain gutters.
Why do Cockroaches Like the Summer?
Cockroaches are drawn to sources of heat, plain and simple. Most species are attracted to humidity and warmth, which is why they frequently are seen in laundry rooms, kitchens, and bathrooms. Although roaches can adapt to a number of climates and environments, they thrive in the heat of the summer. This is the time of year when they breed more rapidly. It’s also the time of year when they enter homes to escape rising temperatures outside.
Cockroach Infestation Removal
If you have cockroaches, you are likely going to need the help of a professional to get rid of them. Because infestations grow to such large numbers in the summertime here in Baton Rouge, it’s best to enlist the help of a licensed cockroach exterminator such as Dugas. Our team will ensure you stay roach-free in the summer and all year long.
Do You Have a Pest Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information and we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
Do Cockroach Infestations Get Worse in the Summer? in Louisiana
Serving the Baton Rouge and Acadiana LA area since 1957