Do you hear scratching or scurrying noises coming from your ceiling? Unusual noises are usually the first sign that animals may be living in your attic or walls, but there are other indicators as well. Without experience, it can be difficult to tell what kind of animal is in the attic and how serious the problem is. Our staff of experts at Dugas Pest Control can help with this assessment! We have seen all kinds of animals living in our customers’ homes and businesses in Baton Rouge, and we can help you remove them quickly and safely. Keep reading to learn more!
Signs of Animals in the Attic
When you believe that the sounds you’re hearing in your attic are being caused by invading wildlife, you should look for signs of animal activity all around your property to figure out who’s there, why they’ve come, and how bad the issue is. Here are some signs that you have animals in the attic:
- Animal waste in your crawl spaces, behind appliances, and along walls
- Insulation that has been destroyed or nested in
- Scattered branches, leaves, or torn paper inside the attic or around the roof
- Bite marks left by animals gnawing on your belongings or your building’s structural materials
Which Wild Animals Do I Have?
As soon as you know there are animals upstairs, it’s time to identify them so that you can handle them safely. Here are the animals that most commonly invade attics in Baton Rouge LA, along with the signs that indicate their presence:
- Rats and mice: Rats and mice sometimes build nests in attics by tearing up insulation. Additionally, they need to chew on hard surfaces in our homes constantly to prevent their incisors from overgrowing. When you see these signs combined with scampering sounds, you can be sure you have rodents.
- Raccoons: Raccoons can tear off your roof shingles or chew holes in your walls to get in. Because raccoons are nocturnal, you may hear loud bumps at night.
- Squirrels: Squirrels sneak into our homes via roof vents or eave gaps, as opposed to raccoons, which are much more destructive. Squirrel noises tend to be lighter and more rapid than raccoon noises, so you can determine which pest is living above you by its sounds.
- Birds: Birds, of course, have the most easily identifiable sounds. Nesting and droppings from nuisance birds spread filth and diseases, so it’s important to act quickly to get rid of them when you hear them.
How to Safely Remove Animals in the Attic
Keeping an eye out for wildlife activity and sealing off holes that could lead into your attic and walls is the best way to prevent wildlife problems. However, if wild animals have already established their nests inside your attic, the safest and most effective way to get rid of them is to hire a professional critter control company. At Dugas Pest Control, we train our technicians in safe and humane removal tactics. We also provide complete service reports to our customers to help them identify and stop similar issues from arising in the future. Contact us today for a free quote!